ADCP deployments this summer, going well!
Hyline Canal Cruise boat running by the Bourne Tidal Test Site.
Photos from the Bourne Tidal Test Site
Statement of Work
Power System Integration, Bourne Tidal Test Site
System Description: The Bourne Tidal Test Site will consist of a test structure on to which turbines will be mounted, an energy storage system and a load, the lights in the parking lot adjacent to the test area. The test structure will consist of two pilings joined by a bridge with test turbine mounted onto the bridge. The structure will be sited approximately 10 meters south of the west end of the railroad bridge in the Cape Cod Canal. It is anticipated that turbines of up to 3 meters in diameter will be tested with maximum output of 100 kW. The energy storage system allows testing to be conducted under the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission (FERC) Verdant Rule, testing that does not connect directly to the electrical grid. The power storage system envisioned consists of either 14 or 28 lithium ion battery modules with a controller provided by Becket Energy Systems. 28 modules can store 25.2 kWh. The storage system will be located in the building housing the backup generator for the railroad bridge. The load will be provided by the lights in the parking lot adjacent to the power storage building and will require 1.5 kW, or 12 kWh for 8 hours of darkness. The system must also provide field current to the turbine and power for various environment sensors, communications and monitors/alarms.
The system integrator will perform design and integration of a power system consisting of:
- A ‘Typical” Tidal Turbine
- A Beckett Energy Storage System consisting of a controller and 14 or 28 battery modules
- A load provided by the adjacent parking lot lights
Tasks will include, but may not be limited to:
- Determination of power requirements and output of a typical tidal turbine.
- Design of interface between turbine and storage controller.
- Determination of power monitoring and warning/alarm requirements.
- Design of system controller to integrate turbine, storage, monitors and load.
- Design of power output to sensors.
- Supervision of installation and integration of power system.
- Documentation of system and interface requirements to be met by turbines to be tested.